Mediation is increasingly used as an effective way of resolving complex disputes outside of court. Develop your mediation knowledge and skills through this practical and comprehensive course which is delivered by experienced practising mediators.
It is seen as a speedy, confidential and less adversarial process to solve a variety of disputes and is particularly suited to situations where parties want to preserve the relationship.
Develop your mediation knowledge and skills through this practical and comprehensive course. Delivered by experienced practising mediators, this course will help you to understand:
This course is ideal for:
You will learn and gain practical experience of the skills and techniques required to manage a mediation from initial instruction to conclusion, including:
Duration: 7 days’ learning and 2 hours’ assessment over 8 weeks:
Weeks 1-7: Two half days per week - Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
Week 8: Two one-hour assessments.
Time zones: GMT.
Delivery: The tutors will deliver the course in CIArb’s dedicated virtual classroom. You will participate in discussion, skills exercises and role play practice.
Post-course: Upon successful completion, you will receive a certificate of participation.
English Language Competence - CIArb training and assessment is carried out in English. It is therefore essential that candidates are proficient in both written and spoken English. Where English is not a candidate’s first language, it is recommended that they have achieved a standard that is, as a minimum, equivalent to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) level 7 or a score of 94-101 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) system. CIArb issues this advice as a guideline and, while it will not require any evidence of this standard prior to enrolment on a course, candidates who do not have this standard of English may be disadvantaged.
How will I be assessed?
Candidates will participate as a mediator in 2 mock-mediations of 1-hour duration in week 8.
For each mock mediation, candidates will be assessed in 3 categories, people skills, process skills and the management of the mediation:
• People Skills: This category concerns the relationship between the Mediator and the participants in the Mediation. Building a trusting relationship is essential for an effective Mediator.
• Process Skills: This category concerns the Mediator’s ability to use the skills and techniques emphasised on the training course. Competent Mediators use a variety of appropriate skills to establish parties’ needs and help them towards settlement.
• Management Skills: This category concerns the firm and tactical use of the process and skills. Competent Mediators create an environment to give the parties the best opportunity of achieving a settlement.
The assessments take place in week 8 of the course. You will participate as a mediator in two one-hour mock mediations.
On successful completion of this course and assessment, candidates will be eligible to:
Becoming a Member demonstrates your commitment to common professional standards, demonstrating your accountability and providing user confidence. Member status gives you the opportunity to:
- Display your achievement through the globally recognised and respected MCIArb post-nominal.
- Promote your professional skills and experience through CIArb’s Membership Directory.
- Network with experienced practitioners at our many lectures and events.
- Keep up-to-date with industry news through our monthly eSolver newsletter.
- Access and submit articles and papers to:
> Our quarterly Resolver magazine; and
> CIArb’s peer-reviewed, academic journal Arbitration: The Journal of International Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management.
You will leave the course with improved knowledge of mediation and confidence in applying your newly learned skills. Here are just some of the learning outcomes you can achieve through the course.
By taking this course, you will:
To unlock this course/assessment, you need to have at least one of the below prerequisites completed
No additional courses are unlocked by this course
CIArb membership is an internationally recognized professional status in Alternative Dispute Resolution. It demonstrates a high standard of education and experience along with a commitment to development and keeping your skills current. Successfully passing this course will make you eligible for Member Grade. Member status indicates a high level of knowledge and/or experience in dispute resolution, as well as a commitment to the principles of professionalism, integrity, and excellence. Members can use the designatory letters MCIArb.